Director Employee Relations
Posted on: November 15, 2023
Who We AreBioMarin is the world leader in delivering
therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live
with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. BioMarin
targets diseases that lack effective therapies and affect
relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children.
These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose,
progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options.
BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the
first or best of their kind. BioMarin has experienced substantial
growth organically since its inception, primarily over the last
decade. While this steady growth in both cost structure and staff
was essential to BioMarin's emergence as a leading, fully
integrated global biopharma with approximately $2 billion in
revenues from over 75 countries, a robust R&D pipeline,
operating profits, and world-class technical capabilities through
its 3,000 employees; BioMarin leadership desires to optimize the
efficiency of its operations for the future through its next phase
of growth. It takes a village, and at BioMarin our Corporate Groups
are the people behind our success. Groups such as IT, Finance,
Legal, Global Compliance & Ethics, and our People Team provide
foundational support of all areas of operation at BioMarin.The
RoleReporting to the Vice President, People, Technical Operations,
the Employee Relations Director is responsible for execution of the
Employee Relations Strategy across BioMarin, including Technical
Operations, Research & Development, Commercial and Corporate
Functions.This role is responsible for providing strategic and
operational guidance on enterprise-wide employee relations
activities, policies, processes, and procedures pertaining to the
BioMarin US locations. This role will command employee relations
expertise, investigation skills, excellent judgment, and highly
developed analytical, interpersonal, problem-solving and
communication skills. This position will support business leaders
to handle workplace concerns and co-create action plans and provide
intervention as necessary. This role will work extensively with
Business leaders to identify opportunities to address repeating
employee relations issues proactively and preventatively and will
provide guidance and coaching to managers of all levels to address
behavioral and performance areas. The Employee Relations director
will stay attuned to organizational and operational changes across
BioMarin locations in the US to identify potential employee
relations risks and develop plans to address proactively.This
requires being on-site in Novato a minimum of two days per week
which right now are Tuesdays and Wednesdays.ResponsibilitiesWorking
with the People Partners across the People function, this position
is responsible for ensuring that employee relations issues are
addressed in a robust, consistent, appropriate, and legal
expectations and guidelines are fulfilled for both the employee and
the company. This role will work closely with our partners in Legal
and in Compliance. This role will have ownership over employee
relations but is an individual contributor role with no direct
reports currently.Responsibilities include for the role include
(but are not limited to):
- Overseeing the management of the employee relations processes
and procedures to enable effective conflict resolution, and problem
- Conducting, overseeing, and assisting employee relation issues
to manage employee concerns and to identify and implement
appropriate action and accountability practices in accordance with
progressive discipline principles.
- Identifying a fair and inclusive process appropriate for
employee concerns or grievances including the leading of
fact-finding, appropriate due diligence, and investigations to
ensure the adherence to BioMarin's employee relations policies and
- Leading conflict resolution training in order to train managers
to work with their teams to promote a great work experience.
- Ensuring employees are treated fairly and all voices are heard,
action led to support a diverse workforce of individuals with
different backgrounds and cultures, gender, races, sexual
orientations to work towards elevating the employee experience to
deliver a more wholesome work environment for all diverse
- Staying attuned to organizational and operational changes
across the company to identify potential employee relations risks
and develop plans to address proactively.
- Providing guidance and coaching to managers of all levels to
address employee behavior and performance.
- Providing guidance and assisting with the development and
delivery of appropriate performance feedback or action plans
including corrective/disciplinary actions.
- Ensures that effective and robust documentation techniques are
used and maintains accurate, confidential records regarding all
reported matters and fact-finding documentation.
- Interpreting and applying understanding of Employee policies
and practices, employment law, and other regulations to provide
guidance or clarification on ER matters.
- Maintaining the highest level of integrity when managing
employee relations issues and managing reported matters.
- Experience with internal alternative dispute resolution,
specifically workplace mediation and other conflict resolution
- Working collaboratively and proactively with other teams,
within Legal, Compliance and Payroll to develop an approach that
provides the best support to the business.
- Providing guidance aligned to supporting leaders to competently
deal with investigations, disciplinaries, grievances, performance
management issues / absences, sensitively in line with policy
- Providing insight to ensure the continued development of
relevant employment related people policies and procedures.
- Supporting training initiatives and the continual development
management toolkits for leaders.
- Proactively working with leaders to enable them to competently
manage people issues promptly using best practice approaches &
people policies principles
- Maintaining up to date knowledge on employment law principles
and associated legislative changes and effectively utilize this
- Ensuring ER cases are recorded, tracked, and proactively
managed to conclusion or hand off to the relevant Strategic
Business Partner. Requirements
- 10 years of experience working in the Employee Relations
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, problem-solving and
- Proven investigation skills including interviews and
investigative report writing.
- Excellent writing and language skills
- Strong attention to detail in documentation of employee
- Ability to work in a dynamic and agile environment.
- Strong strategic, negotiations and diplomacy skills.
- Strong understanding of California-specific and federal
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply the appropriate
sections of applicable laws, guidelines, regulations, and
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Strong understanding of dispute resolution and compensation
- Ability to remain tactful, calm, and persuasive in
controversial and/or confrontational situations. We are an equal
opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national
origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law. In the U.S., the salary range for
this position is $ 176,000 to $ 264,000 per year, which factors in
various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take
into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the
candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and
experience among other factors. A discretionary bonus and/or
long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the
compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical,
financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and
Keywords: BIOMARIN, Novato , Director Employee Relations, Executive , Novato, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!