Human Resources Manager
Posted on: January 15, 2021
Organization Summary PBLWorks, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit
organization (dba Buck Institute for Education) headquartered in
Novato, California, is the industry leader in providing
professional development, products, and resources related to
Project Based Learning (PBL). PBLWorks creates, collects, and
shares high-quality PBL tools and resources with K-12 teachers and
leaders across the country. At PBLWorks, our vision is for all
students - no matter where they live or what their background - to
have access to quality PBL instruction to deepen their learning and
achieve success in college, career, and life. Position Summary The
HR Manager is a new and key role for this fast growing, mission
driven organization. They will lead organizational initiatives
critical to maintaining a diverse, equitable and inclusive work
environment that supports high performing teams. This position
requires a passion and for and expertise in the management of
day-to-day HR administration and employee relations. This position
will contribute to the planning and implementation of strategic
initiatives led by the Senior Director of Operations and the wider
Leadership Team. This HR generalist will be responsible for
developing strong working partnerships across functions, roles, and
geography; working closely with all employees; ensuring alignment
of staff with human resources policies and procedures; the core
values, mission, vision, and advancing racial equity imperative;
and promoting a Multicultural Organization. Key Responsibilities:
HR Operations Management:
- Provide hands on administration of policies and procedures,
benefits, and compensation structures.
- Lead a cross-functional team of staff to support culture and
- Manage the sourcing, recruiting, hiring, on-boarding and new
hire orientation process; ensure continual improvement in these
- Manage the annual benefits open enrollment process including
communication of plan changes to employees.
- Oversee the performance management process, including job
descriptions, performance standards and performance evaluation
tools and tracking.
- Adeptly handle employment related inquiries from applicants,
employees and managers across functions and geographies.
- Advise managers on employee performance issues and
terminations; create performance improvement plans.
- Working with management and employees, advise and participate
in resolving employee relations situations.
- Provide recruitment support for key hires and oversee external
recruiters, as applicable.
- Develop and assess surveys, gather data, conduct focus groups,
exit interviews, and other research to understand the employee
experience. Implement changes based on take-aways from this
research and analysis.
- Determine training needs for the organization, and lead
training plans, utilizing internal and external trainers to train
staff on topics including management and supervision, PBLWorks'
culture and values, equity and inclusion, and compliance with
federal and state requirements.
- Ensure the organization is in compliance with all federal,
state and local laws including EEO, Leave Laws, ADA, and COBRA, for
all locations in which PBLWorks has staff.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory
changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent
management, and employment law; apply this knowledge to develop and
communicate changes in policy, and practice.
- Manage select HR budget lines.
- Partner with the payroll provider to assure that record-keeping
and coordination with payroll is maintained.
- Own all administrative work associated with the HR
- Manage, maintain and provide training as needed for multiple HR
systems, including HRIS, applicant tracking system, and learning
- Be the culture champion by planning and facilitating company
events and team-building activities.
- Other duties as assigned. Strategic Support: In partnership
with the Senior Director of Operations:
- Evaluate current practices to identify gaps and drive new
practices that align with organizational objectives.
- Provide strategic consultative support in the areas of
workforce planning, team development, and building a culture that
is diverse, equitable and inclusive.
- Develop a talent acquisition and growth strategy which ensures
attracting, retaining and developing top talent.
- Develop total rewards strategies, including compensation
structures, and benefit/wellness plans.
- Participate in the activities of the Racial Equity Core Team to
move PBLWorks along the path toward becoming a Multicultural
Organization . The successful candidate will bring this experience
to the role:
- At least 7 years of progressive responsibility in human
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration,
or related field required; Masters degree preferred.
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP preferred.
- Experience in a non-profit, educational organization
- Hands-on experience with administration of benefits,
on-boarding, off-boarding, creating pay ranges and compensation
structures, and employee relations.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.-
in California and other states.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, gmail and google
- Proficient with, or the ability to quickly learn, HRIS and
talent management systems, and other new technologies and
- Experience supporting employees at all levels of the
- Experience implementing culture - building initiatives
including those focused on diversity, equity and inclusivity. The
successful candidate will possess these skills and abilities:
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse
groups of people.
- Strong analytical skills; basic business intuition.
- Great listener.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation, and negotiating
- Extraordinary organizational skills, with high attention to
detail, and exceptional focus on accuracy and accountability.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet
deadlines and prioritize.
- Data driven with strong analytical and problem-solving
- Adept with systems.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and
employees. The successful candidate will reflect these attributes:
- Integrity, a positive attitude, and self-direction.
- Belief in transparency and open communication and the ability
for an individual's power to improve and enable those around
- Passionate about addressing racial equity and inclusion in the
workplace and in education.
- The ability to build trust quickly and be seen as an advocate
for all employees.
- A team player who can work effectively with peers and other
associates within a collegial, yet demanding, work
- Strong work ethic and a passion for PBLWorks' mission and
commitment to working collaboratively with a management team of
senior professionals. Physical Requirements
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times. Location Our
headquarters is located in Marin County, California, one hour north
of San Francisco, and this role will be based out of that office
when in-person work resumes. Travel will be minimal. Compensation
The Human Resources Manager role is a full-time position with full
health benefits (including medical, vision and dental), 403(b), and
life and disability insurance. PBLWorks offers a competitive salary
(commensurate with experience) and a generous benefits package.
PBLWorks is a dog-friendly working environment. As a company, we
celebrate and embrace diversity. We are actively seeking a diverse
pool of candidates in every hiring process. PBLWorks is an Equal
Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate on
the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age,
veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital
status, or disability (in compliance with the Americans with
Keywords: PBLWorks, Novato , Human Resources Manager, Human Resources , Novato, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!