Company: Sutter Health
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Novato Community Hospital is a 47-bed acute-care hospital located
approximately 30 miles north of San Francisco. It is a part of the
Sutter Health network of doctors, not-for-profit hospitals and
other health care service providers sharing resources and expertise
to advance health care quality and access in the more than 100
Northern California cities and communities.
The Dietary Clerk staffs the Diet Office and Caf 101. The primary
responsibilities include: processing patient diet orders and menus;
organizing patient information into food service production
tallies; helps to prepare and serve menu items for patient meals
and snacks; serves as a primary contact person between nursing
units, patients and Nutrition Services production staff.
1. Maintains patient confidentiality according to HIPPA
2. Directly assists the Nutrition Care Specialist and Clinical
Dietitians in managing patient menus.
3. Accurately and efficiently process diet orders and changes to
ensure patient meals are correct.
4. Prepares cold food and snack items for patient trays.
5. Assembles patient meal trays. Is able to supervise patient meal
tray line, monitoring each tray for correctness and loading trays
onto food carts.
6. Maintains and updates patient Kardex with current diet orders
and patient information.
7. Prepares modified diet menus in accordance with patient's diet
restrictions prior to distribution.
8. Corrects and clarifies patient's menu selections to reflect
current prescribed diet for patients.
9. Prepares production sheets for cooks and cold food
10. Answers the telephone promptly in a courteous and professional
manner. Takes messages and communicates accurately, including MD
Orders for Nutrition Consults.
11. Maintains daily meal count sheets and nourishment list. Writes
nourishment labels and communicates them to appropriate cook.
Prepares patient snacks.
12. Works with Nutrition Care Specialist, nursing staff, patients
and/or families concerning patient's diet requests and food
preference. Assists patients with menu selection.
13. Inventories and maintains par levels for nursing units and
staff lounge Nutrition Areas, as assigned.
14. Demonstrates willingness to be flexible with assignments;
assist with team building and problem solving; and works on
department quality improvement projects, as needs arises.
15. Plans work time well and is efficient in task completion. Able
to effectively meet established deadline for production, breaks and
Diet Office tasks. Responds in a cooperative manner to
16. Communicates in timely manner with Nutrition Care Specialist,
Clinical Dietitians Supervisor and Production Leads, as appropriate
with information that impact patient's nutritional care.
17. Responsible for staffing Caf 101, opening and closing Caf 101,
counting cash, transfer of cash between cafeteria and department
safe, as assigned. Maintains professionalism and fosters positive
18. Follows personal safety, food safety and sanitation policies
19. Maintains inventory of patient menus, diet office supplies, and
20. Works on special projects as needed or assigned.
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
Education: A high school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Previous diet assistant, diet clerk experience in an
acute care hospital and/or knowledge of modified and therapeutic
Knowledge: Verbal and written English language literacy. Able to
communicate in professional manner. Numerical literacy, including
addition, subtraction, multiplication, division. Knowledge of
therapeutic diets and special diet needs of patients,
Keywords: Sutter Health, Novato , Diet Clerk, Other , Novato, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!