JOB TITLE: Hard Surface Artist
LOCATION: Brighton, U.K.
REPORTS TO: Lead Hard Surface Artist
What We Need:
Hangar 13 is looking for a talented Hard Surface Artist with a
stunning portfolio that demonstrates expertise in hard surface
modelling, but also strong with organic forms. We expect you to
have a passion for games as well as demonstrate a clear knowledge
of current modelling and texturing practices. This is an amazing
opportunity to work side-by-side with great talent at Hangar 13s
Brighton, UK, location and work on an exciting new AAA IP.
What You Will Do:
- Work with the Lead Hard Surface Artist, Designers & all
involved disciplines to create production quality assets matching
the art style of the game.
- Create a wide range of high-quality assets (high-poly and
low-poly versions) and ensure their efficient integration into the
- Work extensively with the technical art team on certain aspects
of the project which will involve the iteration of assets &
collaboration across multiple locations.
- Sketch in 3D and iterate in the design phases in order to give
visibility to all involved parties.
Who We Think Will Be a Good Fit:
You love playing video games and are passionate about their
potential as a narrative medium. You work well with others and
appreciate that the creative process is a team effort. When
inspiration hits you, youre the type to grab a pad or jump on your
PC to sketch out your ideas, and youre adept at communicating even
the more complex designs to others. Even though youre an
experienced modeller, youre always looking at ways to push yourself
and take your skills to the next level.
- You have an excellent portfolio demonstrating creative flair &
strong technical abilities.
- Experience in a Hard Surface or similar role with a minimum 3
years in the game industry working on AAA titles - preferably with
at least one shipped title
- Extensive experience modelling in 3DSMax & Maya and experience
- You have a good sense of scale, proportion & distribution of
- Strong UV unwrapping and mapping skills.
- A good understanding of mechanical engineering, functionality,
- You have experience and feel comfortable working on more
organic forms & assets.
- Experience using Photoshop and Substance Painter/Designer & a
good understanding of PBR workflows.
- A good knowledge and understanding of modern game art pipelines
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate across
multiple locations and time zones in a clear and efficient
- You are a good team player with a positive attitude and a high
degree of self-motivation and initiative.
- Good time management skills with the ability to prioritise
tasks & communicate clearly & constructively with Production.
Nice to Have:
- Some CAD modelling experience.
- Paintover experience for quick representation of feedback.
- Understanding of how rigging works in Maya.
- Experience with tracking & scheduling software and asset
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the
award-winning Mafia franchise. The studio is comprised of industry
veterans drawn from a diverse range of studios, who have
collectively shipped hundreds of titles across a wide variety of
genres. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds
are wildly different, one thing binds us all together the belief
that Every Players Story is Unique.
Hangar 13 is based in four locations: Novato (California),
Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic).
We work collaboratively across our 4 locations to develop games
as one global team. Each of our locations provides the opportunity
to work on big-budget, AAA console in a diverse and inclusive
Located just 45 minutes via train from London, Brighton is one
of the UKs most diverse and downright interesting cities. Sat right
on the south coast of England, the city is home to a vibrant
creative community and is known as an easy-going and tolerant place
to live and work. Brighton is home to Victorian piers and palaces,
brightly coloured stucco homes and a 5-mile-long shingle beach
which becomes a post-work social hub during the summer months.
Onsite amenities inside our state-of-the-art Brighton studio
include a fully equipped kitchen, games room, gym (with showers)
and our very own bar. Were a 30 second walk from Brighton