Associate Director, Global Category Leader, Capital Projects
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Associate Director, Global Category Leader, Capital Projects
Location Novato, California Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that
provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and
life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that
lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of
patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often
inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and
have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to
focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their
BioMarin's Technical Operations group is responsible for
creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling
production of those drugs for the commercial market. These
engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and
maintain BioMarin's cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites,
provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet
regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to
support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of
our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful
impact on patients' lives.
As Global Category Manager (GCM) Capital Projects, you are part
of the TOPS Global Procurement (TGP) organization accountable for
driving and delivering Procurement value across a group of indirect
suppliers that support capital projects for the Technical
Operations (TOPS) and R&D organizations. You will manage team
of procurement professionals responsible for sourcing and executing
category strategy programs.
TGP is a key function within TOPS that delivers value to
BioMarin by leveraging market intelligence, subject matter
expertise and business insights in the procurement of good and
services and management of BioMarin's third party spend. Through
collaboration with our external suppliers and internal business
partners, TGP helps bring innovative new medicines to patients.
As Global Category Manager Capital Projects, you are responsible
for developing and executing a global category strategy, leading
strategic sourcing initiatives and projects together with business
partners, executing on strategic programs to achieve savings
targets and other KPIs. You will lead complex contract negotiations
and ensure contract value realization and supplier performance
through effective Supplier Relationship Management business
Thanks to your strong leadership, communication, and influencing
skills, you ensure stakeholder alignment and support to deliver
value through the implementation of category strategies and
initiatives. You establish effective working relationships with
functional stakeholders to ensure alignment and full realization of
the benefits of the category strategy.
- Lead team of Procurement professionals executing sourcing
events and category strategy programs/projects; set strategic
objectives for team, manage pipeline of projects, report savings
and develop team members
- Accountable for the creation and application of a busines
aligned long term, end-to-end Capital Projects Category Strategy
and the development of an annual pipeline of strategic category
initiatives that deliver value for the business.
- Execute category initiatives and ensure responsibility for
delivery and reporting of savings.
- Develop, negotiate, support and manage global contracts with
suppliers in line with stakeholder / business needs.
- Utilize deep analytics to understand category spend and
identify opportunities to gain efficiencies, including optimize
- Leverage on market and supplier intelligence to drive value
through our knowledge, insights and governance processes.
- Drive market intelligence and innovation - assess global market
conditions and direction of assigned categories; partner with
suppliers and internally to drive innovation
- Develop and lead cross-functional teams in support of capital
projects, capital equipment procurement, and related commodities
that leverage volume and knowledge to achieve maximum value.
- Design sourcing strategies and develop supplier relationships
that achieve maximum value from the current and potential supplier
base. Continuously refine strategies to adapt and improve delivery
- Lead supplier selection process and negotiate contracts.
Develop actionable recommendations based on a clear definition and
articulation of options and tradeoffs. Develop action plans that
anticipate implementation problems and leverages internal and
supplier capabilities while building full commitment throughout the
- Monitor CAPEX category spending, both in aggregate and via
patterns/cycles, and continuously evaluate options to reduce total
cost of ownership. Propose policy and business case to drive
corporate discipline in capital efficiency. Establish and deploy
standards and monitor compliance.
- Serve as a conduit for innovation from supplier base. Develop
market intelligence and benchmarking. Act as subject matter expert
in capital procurement and supplier market dynamics. Proactively
identify new markets and supplier sources.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of category specifications, BioMarin
products and processes and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain in depth understanding of suppliers capabilities,
capacity and overall financial stability. Assess supply risk and
develop appropriate strategies to mitigate that risk. Ensure that
suppliers have developed and tested contingency plans.
- Demonstrate in-depth understanding of contract terms and
conditions including key performance requirements. Assure
compliance to contracting policy and established contracts.
- Lead and facilitate resolution of supplier issues. Work closely
with all related internal functions including Engineering,
Manufacturing, Quality, Compliance, Regulatory Affairs, and
- Establish function scorecards and other communication vehicles
to measure and report performance including supplier performance
and value realized.
- Build cross functional awareness of the supplier management
role across the organization.
- Lead continuous improvement initiatives throughout the
organization in the enhancement of functional processes and in the
realization of material / service supply opportunities.
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering, business, or life sciences,
MBA desirable, C.P.M. or A.P.P. desirable.
- 10+ years strategic procurement experience with extensive
knowledge of category management and advanced sourcing, complex
contract negotiations expertise
- 5+ years management experience with proven ability to develop
- 5+ years capital procurement experience with responsibility for
development and implementation of procurement strategies; ideally
in biotech / life sciences industry.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including
solid interpersonal, analytical and presentation skills.
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong risk management skill set required to drive innovative
solutions and problem-solving analysis and resolution
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual
orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran
status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Keywords: Biomarin, Novato , Associate Director, Global Category Leader, Capital Projects, Other , Novato, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!