Instrumentation Technician 2 / Sr. Technician
Location Novato, California Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that
provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and
life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that
lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of
patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often
inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and
have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to
focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their
BioMarin's Technical Operations group is responsible for
creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling
production of those drugs for the commercial market. These
engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and
maintain BioMarin's cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites,
provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet
regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to
support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of
our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful
impact on patients' lives.
This position is responsible for performing instrumentation
activities including troubleshooting, calibration, installation,
and repair in a cGMP regulated environment.
This position will provide calibration/troubleshooting support
necessary to ensure that the equipment and instruments used by the
Facilities, Quality Control, and Manufacturing Departments are in a
current state of calibration and working condition with an emphasis
on minimizing down time for the customer.
A differential is paid for swing and graveyard shifts and for
- Work on assignments that are complicated in nature.
- Perform troubleshooting on instrumentation loops (i.e., various
transmitters, PLC cards, sensing elements, and HMIs).
- Perform calibrations and installations of various types of
industrial processing control instrumentation including but not
limited to: conductivity, pressure, flow, and temperature.
- Write, edit, and review Calibration SOP's for individual
instrument calibrations to ensure accuracy and compliance.
- Initiate Out of Tolerance Reports.
- Operate various types of manufacturing and process
- Review and approve instrument calibration records generated by
contractors and by peers within the department.
- Evaluate, complete, review, and approve ERF records that are
moderate in nature within CMMS.
- Support Validation in executing OQ tests during the startup of
- Perform shipping and return of Instrumentation standards and
other instruments to off-site calibration vendors
- Active member of BioMarin's Emergency Response Team
- Ability to drive occasionally for work.
- Other duties as requested by Instrumentation Management.
This position provides support to Manufacturing, Quality
Control, Facilities, Quality Assurance, and R&D in the form of
troubleshooting, installation, calibration, and repair. Using
calibrated equipment and instrumentation is a basic regulatory
requirement, without calibrated equipment and instrumentation the
various operational departments could not conduct their daily
- Completion of a 2-year technical program (instrumentation or
industrial electronics) or an associate's degree in a related
science or engineering major. Extensive experience in
calibration/instrumentation position may be considered.
- Experience with PC programs such as Word, Excel, CMMS, or other
- Familiarity with HART protocol, DMMs (FLUKE 744/754) a
- Familiarity with ladder logic a plus.
- Biotech or pharmaceutical: minimum N/A
- Instrumentation or Calibration: minimum 2 years.
- Electro-mechanical background a plus
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings (P&ID's)
- Strong troubleshooting skills are required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL DEMANDS
This is a fast-paced work environment where multitasking is a
must. While performing the duties of this job the employee is
frequently required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear, use
hands/fingers, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or
balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, or smell.
The employee must occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, depth perception, color vision, peripheral vision, and
ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; fumes or
airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical
shock, vibration, and extreme temperatures.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
The employee will be required to independently utilize:
- Temperature standards.
- Pressure standards.
- Conductivity standards.
- Flow standards
- Digital Multi Meters (DMMs)
- Associated computer programs (e.g. Word, Excel, and CMMS).
- Physical/Dimensional equipment
- Various manufacturing process skids and analytical laboratory
- Small hand tools (i.e., wrenches, screwdrivers, test leads,
drive sockets, etc..)
- This position requires significant interaction with other
departments (employees and managers) for the scheduling of work
activities both in the various laboratories and on equipment
delivered to the calibration shop.
- This position requires interaction with outside contractors for
scheduling work to be performed at the BioMarin facility.
- On an on-going basis this position interacts with outside
vendors for scheduling and performing external calibration
- Interaction with Engineering and other department heads
regarding new technology implementation in manufacturing and lab
There are no supervisory responsibilities associated with this
- Works independently on routine activities.
- Self-starter, requires little direction.
- Expert in electro-mechanical troubleshooting, multiple
calibrations, resource and trainer.
- Performs investigations and proposes solutions.
- Able to supervise/monitor external calibration contractor's
- Demonstrated ability to meet scheduling deadlines.
- Ability to man a shift alone with other junior talent
Advancement to Senior Instrumentation Technician I.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual
orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran
status, or any other characteristic protected by law.